Friday, January 30, 2009

Experiencing Aneirin

So last night we stayed at Abby's house in Lynchburg, VA right off of Liberty University's campus. I got to see Lee (music friends for four years) and Jesse (Massachusetts bro from Purple Door several years ago). I realized yesterday that I didn't bring a sleeping bag, and within a few hours of this mini-tour, I lost my pillow. Dalton said that there would be extra sleeping bags in the trailor, but he was wrong. Nevertheless, he is still a good friend and just because I don't have a sleeping bag doesn't mean I don't love him.

Emmy graciously offered a blanket to me last night as I slept on Abby's floor. But between that and my sweet Russian coat that can double as a blanket, I couldn't get comfy enough to get more than four hours of sleep. That's ok though because Abby made delicious potato fries and eggs and bacon for us. We ate it over an intense conversation concerning Corey's approach to the typical western church.

We then drove four hours to Lincolnton, NC to Macedonia Baptist church or something like that. There were only two bands (Aneirin and Flynn) and I was the merch guy and stuff. I run this band. They're nothing without me. Aneirin needs me because I'm awesome and make incredible decisions to benefit them.

So basically the show went well and I did my job as a musical capitalist and went around asking people if they'd buy a CD or a shirt and I made them lots of money because I'm the most important and successful member of this band.

But the real highlight besides my genius business work and administrational duties was the fact that this show was Dan Garcia's first show as Aneirin's front man. He was awesome and did all of the posi frontman moves that I love (super-punching, chest beats, jogging in place while gripping the air, etc).

The brotherhood around me has been so intense and when the guys try to convince me to drop out of college (like Dan did) to tour full-time, I almost consider it. But then I don't.

This has been one of my favorite traveling vehicles. Makes me wonder why my family ever sold our old conversion van.

Road conversations have been so intense and so good in so many ways: theologically, emotionally, even physically.

I haven't spent any money on food. I'm trying to keep that up. I also told myself I wouldn't ask anyone to buy me or give me any food. I've been snacking off of doughnuts (that Kate and I got) and muffins (leftover from my family's house). Also, I took leftover fruit from the venue and Corey unexpectedly bought me a McChicken sandwich for which I am thankful.

We drove to Spartanburg, South Carolina tonight where we are staying in Taylor's house. The members from Flynn and Aneirin are all here, including some other friends. This trip south has been much more about meeting people and having conversation then it has been about traveling. In fact, I haven't really looked outside at much at all.

This is where my relationship with Christ became deep. The hardcore scene is where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment