Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Every End is a Beginning

It's been over a week since I've had the chance to sit down and complete the story of my trip with Aneirin. I just want to finish telling the tale.

My Aunt Sarah who lives right outside of Charlotte graciously allowed us to spend the night in her home. She stayed up until 3 AM waiting for us to arrive and had blankets set out across the twenty-foot sofa near the fireplace. Dalton and I crashed in another room. Corey slept in my cousin Luke's room. Luke had selflessly offered his bed to him. The minute our heads hit pillows, we were out.

Sleep was not fulfilling, although it was appreciated. By 8:30 we were sitting around the breakfast table with my aunt and uncle and their six kids. Aunt Sarah provided some of the best french toast I've ever had, along with delicious sausage and bacon and the freshest fruit I've eaten in quite some time. This healthy and delicious meal kept us in her home until 9:15, and because of the change in diet, we all suffered from explosive diarrhea that night (3 times for myself, and it was miserable). When we arrive in Winchester, VA where our show was, the building was very cold and large and sterile. The sound was great though, but the promoters put Aneirin as the headlining band, so we were to perform at 9 PM instead of the anticipated 5 PM. This means we were not able to catch any of the Super Bowl. It also means that I lost a lot of sleep. The show was quite long, so during it I walked around town. There were some excellent sites, though it wasn't busy at all for Super Bowl Sunday. Most places were closed, except for a Thai restaurant and some gas stations. Winchester has an old, historical feel, although it seems geared toward small businesses in the downtown district. I got to see a historical landmark, a cannon shot by George Washington, but really it was just a sad reason to give "tourists" a reason to linger around the business area. My walk was peaceful.

That entire day, my voice was gone from trying to promote Aneirin's merchandise at the venue the night before where smoking was allowed. I was definitely sick as well, perhaps from loss of sleep. I was very glad to leave town when we finally did. I made it to Dalton's house after 1 AM, and on the drive back to Pennsylvania, a cop car pulled behind me and followed me for ten minutes. The reason he finally turned around is probably because I crossed the border. I do understand that policemen have nothing better to do in rural areas at 2 AM. After I got home, dad drove me to campus, and after making my bed, I got to sleep just before 4 AM. At 7:50 AM, I woke up, put on shoes, and headed straight to class, not having showered for quite some time. My classes from 8 AM to 3 PM were wonderful, despite my unconscience state.

This semester will be great, with classes like World Religions and Theology of God and Humanity. I even have a guitar class. I enjoy them all so far, even with the heavy amounts of reading. I will learn a lot.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I have no classes. That has blessed me very much.

I recently heard someone mention a spot in the mountains of Colorado where you can see the curve of the earth. If anyone knows where that is, please let me know, because I would love to hitchhike there this summer.

End part 2 of this blog series.

No comments:

Post a Comment